Economic Growth and Development of a Minapolitan Area Based on the Utilization of Renewable Energy, Takalar Regency, South Sulawesi, Indonesia

Batara Surya, Agus Salim, Seri Suriani, Firman Menne, Emil Salim Rasyidi

Abstract


Accelerated development of the Takalar Regency area towards economic growth has an impact on the productivity of the community's economic enterprises. Furthermore, the increase in the productivity of economic enterprises coupled with the development of the Minapolitan area will contribute positively to meeting renewable energy needs and improving environmental quality towards sustainable development. This study aims to analyze: (1) Economic growth and work productivity as determinants of increasing energy demand for the Minapolitan area; (2) The effect of economic growth, utilization of renewable energy, and strengthening of institutional capacity on improving environmental quality and sustainable development of Minapolitan areas. This study uses a qualitative-quantitative approach sequentially. Data obtained through observation, in-depth interviews, surveys, and documentation. The results of the study indicate that economic growth coupled with the preparation of energy infrastructure in the development of the Minapolitan area has a positive contribution to increasing the productivity of community economic enterprises. The effect of total economic growth, utilization of renewable energy, and strengthening of institutional capacity on environmental quality improvement is 63.36%. Furthermore, the residual effect or residue that was not examined on the improvement of environmental quality was 36.64%. The direct effect of increasing the quality of the environment on the sustainability of the development of the Minapolitan area is 67.73%. The remaining effect or residue is 32.27%. Thus, economic growth, renewable energy utilization, and strengthening of institutional capacity together have an effect, on improving environmental quality with a determination coefficient of 46.65%, and an increase in environmental quality affects the sustainability of the Minapolitan area development with a determination coefficient of 39.56%. This study recommends that the direction of the sustainable development of the Minapolitan area is very important to optimize the use of renewable energy towards environmental, economic, and social sustainability, followed by strengthening the institutional capacity of the government and society in ensuring a balanced development in the future.

Keywords: economic growth; Minapolitan area; economic productivity; renewable energy; sustainable development.

JEL Classification: Q5

DOI: https://doi.org/10.32479/ijeep.11502


Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.